Current Job Opportunities
Please no phone calls, should you have any questions please feel free to email us at [email protected].
Managing Director for Program Services
Nature of Position: The National Environmental Education Foundation (NEEF), a national leader in building public environmental literacy, is seeking a full-time Managing Director for Program Services. The Managing Director plays a pivotal role working closely with program staff to ensure that all programs are aligned with NEEF’s vision. He/she oversees the design, integration, execution and evaluation of NEEF’s environmental education and engagement programs and is accountable for ensuring effectiveness within and across several program areas and themes including but not limited to public land conservation, extreme weather and climate, public health and environmental education. The Managing Director is also responsible for overseeing NEEF’s strategic grantmaking program in a way that helps to advance NEEF’s organizational priorities and programmatic aims. As such, he/she maintains oversight of the Program Services Unit’s priority-setting, programming, funding, staffing, evaluation and reporting.
Primary responsibilities: Specific duties are outlined below.
Program Design and Management
- Leads program staff in assessing the environmental education and engagement needs of different target audiences and stakeholder groups.
- Oversees the development, coordination and management of a portfolio of programs based on these strategic assessments.
- With input from the Research and Best Practices Unit, leads the Program Services Unit in designing data and science-driven concepts, programs, initiatives and events that have clearly articulated and measureable, objectives and activities that are aligned with the organization’s vision and priorities.
- In collaboration with the Research and Best Practices Unit, leads the Program Services Unit in developing and implementing program evaluation, data collection and analysis.
- Collaborates with staff from the Research and Best Practices Unit to demonstrate proof of concept for new initiatives.
- Leads staff in the Program Services Unit in developing and implementing program roll-out and scale up strategies.
- Ensures that program goals and objectives are met.
- Monitors funding and partnership agreements to ensure that program deliverables are met.
- Aligns and allocates human and financial resources to achieve unit goals.
Partner Relationship Management
- Serves as one of NEEF’s primary liaisons and representatives for external education and engagement opportunities and initiatives.
- Assists in forming and maintaining strategic partnerships and alliances with federal, state and local government agencies, businesses, associations and other groups.
- Collaborates with staff across the organization to develop and maintain stakeholder engagement programs, initiatives and tools.
- Sustains current public and private partnerships while identifying and forming relationships with new partners who can help to advance NEEF’s programming and/or organization-wide goals.
- Represents NEEF on advisory groups and at external meetings, workshops, and conferences as appropriate.
- Upholds NEEF’s commitment to collaboration with external stakeholders.
Strategies and Operations
- Under guidance of the SVP for Programs and with input from other staff, the Managing Director takes the lead in developing the strategic projects for the Program Services unit, designs and executes action plans, manages budgets, captures, analyzes and reports on program performance data, executes program agreements, maintains partnerships and manages relationships, makes staffing recommendations, and assists with fundraising. He/she maintains oversight of the unit’s priority-setting, funding, execution, evaluation and reporting.
- Leads unit staff in short, mid, and long-term program and budget planning efforts within the context of NEEF’s strategic priorities.
- Collaborates with the Research and Best Practices Unit around program evaluation, data collection and analysis, reporting and other activities.
- Collaborates with staff in other units and departments to help ensure that NEEF’s efforts are integrated and cohesive in terms of design and delivery of its programs, products and services.
- Coordinates the Unit's work with that of other units and departments at NEEF.
- Builds a program services team that works together effectively and works across NEEF as well.
- Assists in identifying potential funding sources for programs.
- Works with SVP for Programs and development staff to develop concept papers, letters of intent, proposals and related fundraising documents.
Marketing and Communications
- Helps to translate program evaluation and impact data for reporting, communications and other purposes.
- With guidance from the Communications Department, maintains oversight of program-related web content and tools.
- Ensures all program services staff members know how to capture and communicate compelling stories around program outputs and impact.
- Collaborates with Marketing and Development staff around messaging, promotion and fundraising.
- Ensures that the grants strategy is aligned with NEEF’s priorities, adheres to policy, is measureable and impact-driven.
- Provides strategic oversight and accountability over NEEF’s grantmaking program.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Master’s Degree or equivalent and 10 or more years of experience in programming, education, or related discipline. Substantive experience at a senior level is required.
- Proven experience overseeing and mobilizing cross disciplined teams.
- Experience collaborating with corporations around corporate social responsibility and engagement.
- Experience developing and implementing strategic plans.
- Financial management experience including financial planning, budget development, resource allocation and monitoring
- Experience forming and/or maintaining external advisory groups.
- Experience forming and maintaining partnerships.
- Experience working with diverse populations and underrepresented communities.
- Fundraising experience preferred.
- Broad knowledge and technical competence in program design, theory, practice and evaluation.
- General knowledge of environmental education.
- Solid written and verbal communication skills.
- Entrepreneurial mindset highly desired.
- Willingness to travel.
Salary: The salary is commensurate with your experience. The Foundation has a competitive benefits package.
To apply: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Please send resume, cover letter and salary requirements to email@example.com and include Managing Director in the subject line. Applications without salary requirements or desired salary range will not be considered.
Nature of Position: The National Environmental Education Foundation (NEEF)®, a national leader in building public environmental knowledge based in Washington, D.C, is seeking a full-time Researcher for its newly formed Research & Best Practices Unit. The Research & Best Practices Unit ensures NEEF’s credibility, effectiveness and relevance in advancing knowledge and discourse around environment and weather, climate, public health, nature (public lands) and education. The unit uses research and emerging trends to help foster innovation and inform NEEF’s programming, focusing on cutting edge environmental knowledge that is most relevant to lifelong environmental education.
- Track and analyze emerging trends, gather and apply research, and provide content expertise to inform NEEF’s programming, marketing and communications.
- Design and implement research tools and evaluation strategies related to NEEF programming, engagement activities and organization-wide goals.
- Form and maintain partnerships that can help to advance NEEF’s content development, research and organization-wide goals.
- Develop content and raise NEEF’s profile through blogs, articles and research reports for distribution through networks of professional partners (television weathercasters, healthcare providers, educators and public lands managers) and directly to public audiences, with a special focus on climate change and its impacts on weather, public health and nature.
- With input from the Managing Director and the Communications Department, disseminate content and information about NEEF’s work – including best practices and promising strategies for advancing environmental education in lifelong learning – through various channels, including the NEEF website, blogs and social media, white papers, issue briefs, conference presentations and media appearances.
- Assist with project coordination and administrative duties as needed.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in environmental field, education, or related discipline.
- Strong background in environmental and climate science; general knowledge of environmental education.
- Knowledge of and interest in behavioral/social sciences is a plus. Knowledge of program design and proven ability to design and implement research tools and program evaluation.
- Excellent research skills and the capacity to be resourceful in identifying new sources of relevant, credible information as well as partnerships.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Proven ability to present material in a clear, concise and engaging manner, in a variety of formats, to diverse audiences.
- Experience working with diverse populations and underrepresented communities. Written and spoken Spanish fluency strongly preferred.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively with national, regional, and local agencies, organizations, and universities.
- Excellent organizational skills; ability to manage multiple tasks and frequent deadlines.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Willingness to travel.
Salary: The salary is commensurate with your experience; the Foundation has excellent benefits.
To apply: Please send resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to [email protected] and reference Researcher in the subject line. No phone calls, please.
Intern, Public Lands Program
The National Environmental Education Foundation (NEEF), a national leader in building public environmental literacy, is seeking an intern for our Public Lands Program. The Public Lands Every Day program encourages more Americans to enjoy, protect and maintain our public lands every day through public engagement, professional development and partnerships. The internship will focus on assisting program staff in the coordination of grants and partnership outreach. In addition, the intern will assist staff with the coordination of National Public Lands Day, the nation’s largest one-day volunteer event for public lands. This position will be responsible for researching and communicating with potential site managers for National Public Lands Day 2015, assisting with contests and grants, and performing day-to-day operating tasks. Please go to www.publiclandsday.org and www.publiclandseveryday.org for more information about these programs.
The Public Lands Every Day program offers the opportunity to gain practical knowledge about working with public agencies, the media and not-for-profit organizations.
The ideal candidate will have:
- A background and interest in environmental science/education, resource management, communications or currently pursuing a degree in a related field.
- Excellent research and written and verbal communication skills.
- A strong interest in nature and outdoor/environmental education.
- A working knowledge of public lands and the agencies that manage them.
- Familiarity with most major new media tools and direct experience as an active user on multiple outlets (e.g. Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, etc.).
- Experience with Microsoft Office; Adobe Creative Suite and website/basic HTML a plus.
- Ability to work independently and in collaboration with our small program team.
- Good sense of humor.
Dates of Employment: April through October 2015. Preference will be given to those who will be based in the Washington, DC area for the fall. This is a paid position and the work schedule will be 20 hours per week. This internship could be used toward course study or credits towards program, contingent on approval by NEEF and the college or university.
To apply: Please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please refer to PLP Intern in the subject line. No phone calls, please