Employment at NEEF
Please no phone calls, should you have any questions please feel free to email us at [email protected].
Nature of Position: The National Environmental Education Foundation (NEEF)®, a national leader in building public environmental literacy based in Washington, D.C, is seeking a full-time Program Officer. The Program Officer is a new position with programming, staff and administrative oversight and accountability. In general, the Program Officer will be responsible for integrating, designing, executing and managing Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) and environmental education programs as well as developing, executing and managing budgets, supervising staff, consultants and interns, and helping to strategize about overarching program priorities within the organization. The person hired for this position will be a strategic thinker with an entrepreneurial mindset who has the interest and ability to work across disciplines, departments, and functional and topical areas.
Direct Program Management
- With input from the Senior Vice President for Programs, coordinate the integration of the National Environmental Education Foundation’s STEM and environmental education programs.
- Design, implement and evaluate environmental education. Assist in developing, assessing and scaling new and existing pilots, programs and initiatives.
- Create, implement and assess professional development programs.
- Formulate, develop and maintain strategic partnerships with federal, state and local government agencies, K-12 schools, museums, colleges/universities, public land agencies, and other organizations that work to enhance STEM learning and environmental literacy.
- Assist with data collection and research.
- Coordinate expert advisory panels, meetings, special events, etc.
- Assist in developing and implementing a communications and marketing program strategy.
- Assist in the design and dissemination of program materials and related content.
- Maintain the education program’s online presence and expand its reach using traditional and new media.
- Participate in national, state and regional conferences.
- Staff supervision.
- Budget development and monitoring.
- Report preparation and submission.
- Assistance with fundraising.
Master’s degree preferred. Bachelor's degree required
- At least seven (7) years of experience in K-12 education, STEM, education reform, ecology, interpretative education, environmental education, or related discipline.
- Experience working with K-12 students and/or schools. Knowledge of common core standards and related information.
- Program development, management and evaluation experience.
- Experience in program outreach and marketing.
- Experience supervising staff.
- Excellent planning and project management skills.
- Experience forming and maintaining partnerships.
- Solid written and verbal communications.
- Experience working with diverse populations and underrepresented communities.
- Willingness to travel.
- Fundraising experience.
- Experience providing and maintaining content for website and other electronic information distribution channels including but not limited to the use of social media.
- Bilingual applicants encouraged to apply.
Salary: Salary is commensurate with experience; the Foundation has excellent benefits.
To apply: Please send cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to email@example.com and reference Program Officer in the subject line. No phone calls, please.
NEEF® is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE).
The National Environmental Education Foundation (NEEF) www.neefusa.org, a national leader in advancing environmental literacy, is seeking an intern to assist with the evaluation of the Pediatric Asthma Initiative www.neefusa.org/health/asthma. The Pediatric Asthma Initiative is a long-term project which is integrating environmental management of asthma into pediatric medical and nursing education and practice. The Initiative utilizes a network of pediatric faculty members at leading academic institutions across the U.S. who take a leadership role in integrating environmental control of asthma at their institutions through a variety of means, including changes to curricula and electronic medical records. They are also educating students, residents, and other faculty and practitioners in their regions to do the same.
The Pediatric Asthma Initiative is a program of the Health & Environment Program www.neefusa.org/health. The goal of the Health & Environment Program is to advance environmental knowledge among health professionals to improve the public’s health, with a special emphasis on children and underserved populations. The Program includes projects involving partnerships with federal agencies, health professional organizations, and public health groups to provide environmental education to physicians, nurses, and other primary health care providers.
Responsibilities: The primary focus of this position will be to assist the Health & Environment Program with the evaluation and data analysis for the Pediatric Asthma Initiative. This will include tasks related to:
- Quantitative and qualitative data management and analysis
- Help plan for a convening of NEEF’s regional pediatric leaders in Washington, DC to share lessons learned, barriers encountered, success stories, and other relevant information to the Initiative’s evaluation
- Assist in drafting and editing the summative evaluation report to be submitted to CDC’s National Center for Environmental Health
- Assist in drafting and editing a manuscript to submit for publication in a peer-reviewed journal
- Other tasks including, maintaining spreadsheets, updating environmental health materials, assisting with program activities, copying, mailing, and other administrative tasks upon request.
Qualifications: Applicants will be graduate students with an interest and some knowledge/background in environmental health issues and data analysis. Applicants should have excellent written and verbal communication skills; the ability to handle, organize, and prioritize multiple tasks; possess a high-level of professionalism and enjoyment working with a variety of people; and have strong computer and literature search skills.
To Apply: Please email your resume and cover letter to [email protected] Please refer to ‘PAI Intern’ in the subject line.
This is an unpaid position and the work schedule can be 10-20 hours per week; hours are flexible within organization operating hours (9:00a – 5:00p). The ideal start date is early October.
NEEF is an equal opportunity employer.